Monday, October 11, 2010

Disclosing Agents and PFI

Today was a fun day, the day we have all been waiting for, disclosing! I was paired up with Leigh today and we had lots of fun. That girl makes me laugh! It was cool getting disclosed and seeing the areas that I need to give more attention during my oral hygiene routine. I think they need make disclosing agents flavored because that was a little nasty tasting there for a second! I now can see the benefit of disclosing patients to create an effective learning experience for them. If it was effective for teaching me how I can improve, it will be even more effective for someone who does not know as much as I do about at-home oral hygiene care. After disclosing, we calculated PFI. (Me and Leigh had almost the exact same score!) I got a little confused on the surfaces to count..was I missing some, was I counting some twice? Does this count as one area or two? I think my calculation was mostly correct, but another demo would not hurt me. After calculating each other's PFI, we brushed each other's teeth using the Modified Stillman's Method. I am excited to do this with a patient and show them the correct method for brushing and flossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment