Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Scary Subgingival Scaling

I have come to the realization that I am scared of the subgingival arena. I do not like going where I can not see. I do not like entering the unknown. That is perhaps why I missed 4 spots that were subgingival today! My sister Kami was back today so I could finish her up. She was such a great patient! I felt bad that her poor jaw started to hurt after a while, what a trooper! Her suggestion is that the disclosing agent needs to be flavored. I agree. I need to do better at feeling around subgingivally before I move on to the next tooth. I need to remember to use my instrument using an exploratory stroke to make sure the surfaces are smooth. Instructor Caldwell was great to help me get the spots I missed, most of them I went back and was able to feel them and scale them, but there was one spot she helped me with. Everyday is a learning experience and I need to be grateful for little mistakes that become lessons and that in the end will make me a better hygienist. My goal is to FIND PATIENTS!! AH! Between the two of us (Jamie and I) we are almost out of immediate family. Time to duke it out to see who gets Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment