Monday, September 20, 2010

Intra oral Exams & Oh yes, more Fulcruming!

Today we learned how to perform an intra-oral exam on our patient. Like the extra-oral exam, it is a service to the patients to screen for any abnormalities, namely cancer. I like that we do this for every patient. I bet they feel safe coming here when services like these are performed. We learned the different structures to look at, feel, and palpate in the oral cavity. We have learned a little about what is normal and abnormal, as well as different types of lesions, but most of that will come with practice and seeing lots of different mouths. We learned more fulcruming today and the correct grasp for the explorer and probe. The grasp is very light, but is stablized by the ring finger fulcrum. When we learn to use scalers, our grasp will be a little tighter on the instrument. On certain teeth and surfaces I felt I was doing well, and then other areas are much more difficult to see what I am doing and to find a fulcrum. My main thing is I need to focus on remembering to maintain my proper body mechanics and move the patients head, the light, the mirror, or my chair position..but do not lean or bend over the patient. I hope that will come more naturally to me with practice. Costley said don't worry, they will break me of that habit!

1 comment:

  1. Your background design is so cute, and I love the font of your subjects.

    ReplyDelete