Monday, March 7, 2011

Let's call today..Eventful.

It was not necessarily a bad day, just not a great one. Today my patient was a mentally disabled woman being brought in by her caretaker. They were both so sweet and everything was going great. I was filling out the health history and about ten minutes into the appointment, the caretaker got a phone call and just started bawling. I felt so bad, I did not know what to do, so I just hugged her and asked what's wrong. She said her grandmother died. Jamie came over to help me and walked the caretaker outside while I stayed with my patient. Mr. Soloman was a big help and helped comfort her outside along with Jamie. The caretaker decided she still wanted my patient to get her teeth cleaned so she left to take care of some things and my patient stayed with me. She was very sweet and quite competent. She started crying a few times in the appointment, but I was able to comfort her. The health history took me over an hour because she had about 16 different medications I had to look up, some of which were not in our DDR. So after the phone call and the loooooong health history, all I had time for was a pano. My patient had a broken shoulder and the pano machine could not clear her shoulder as it went around. Prof. Costley came to help me with my retake, we ended up having to take off the lead shield all together because her shoulder was too high. It all worked out in the end. She will be coming back soon to get finished. She has a denture on the top so I need to remind them to bring it next time so I can pass off my PE. I am still very worried about PE's, my goal is to do at least two a day for the next few clinic sessions. Like I said, not a bad day, just eventful. I was actually really proud of myself today.

No comments:

Post a Comment