Saturday, October 8, 2011

Busy Week

It was a very busy week! Here's how it went...
Ergonomics CE class: This course freaked me out a little bit. I really need to pay more attention to ergonomics, it is more important than I am making it. I really need loupes!

Hooper Health Fair: Why are people scared of free oral cancer screenings??

Clinic: I brought back my class III patient today and finished 2 more quads, with only one error. I think I am getting a little better! This patient was originally a split class II and class III, but Instructor Wold reclassified her today as a full class III. Score! I will bring her back in 2 weeks to finish her. She is very reliable and always keeps her appointments. A perfect class III!

Lab: Today in clinic we had an afternoon lab to go over mockboard, cares risk assessment (yuck), blood glucose, scaling, and curved ultrasonic inserts. Good review! I wish I could walk away like Prof. Alexander during the spit PE. Seeing spit somewhere other than the mouth makes me gag. Instructor Wold is going to have a Sharpening Party with us on Friday before mockboards, I think that will help a lot, I am still a little nervous when I sharpen my instruments.

Children's Health Connection: On Friday I was a roving assistant and although I felt like I did not have much to do, I was able to meet some way nice dentists. Saturday was way busier with much less help. I was signed up for sterilization but was moved to radiology. I loved it! It was really good practice taking x-rays on small kids and I got some really good films. I was also able to get some good films on the gaggers by counting loudly to 5 as I closed the door and pushed the button. This really helped them focus on how much longer they needed to be still and bite down, and they did not gag. Later, they needed someone else in hygiene. I did a couple of cleanings and by the end of the day I was exhausted! It was really cool to see how many kids were helped in those 2 days.

Goals: PE's! For real! I need to get going on them. I get so wrapped up in my appointment and trying to hurry and I completely neglect the PE's I planned to do. I want to try and do at least one PE per week for the rest of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment