Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Found a board patient!

I found a board patient on Thursday! YAY! I can finally breathe for a minute. This morning I saw back my class two patient. He requires anesthesia so I had his treatment plan broken into two appointments. I did miss some spots today. Alexander walked by as I was scaling and reminded me when I was scaling anteriors to really be right over the patients nose and staying up up on my fulcrum. I did some really good OHI for this patient. He has so much gingival inflammation and bleeding from the calculus and biofilm that were in his pockets. This afternoon I saw my board patient to get his x-rays taken and to scale a quad. Alexander classified him as a class III because his bone loss is right between a class II and III, and because he has so much subgingival calculus. I will be cleaning the upper left for the board. I also learned that when I was probing a couple of his teeth, I was tilting the probe a little too much which was giving me a deeper reading. I learned that the probe still needs to be mostly parallel with the long axis of the tooth, but slightly dipped into the col on the interproximal areas. Alexander commented that his calculus was definitely heavy enough and it was a bit tenacious. He also has bulbous crown anatomy which makes the scaling a little more difficult. This worries me, but at this point I just need to be grateful I have a board patient. His anterior teeth were very sensitive to the ultrasonic, so next time I will use more anesthetic on the infiltrations. I really hope everything goes okay for the clinical board. We got all of our instruments ready today after clinic. It is all happening so fast, I can't believe the real boards are here. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment