Thursday, November 17, 2011

Wheelchairs are not for racing...

I called my patient to confirm her ( for the second time) and she said "Oh, I can't make it" (for the third time this semester) so I gave up on her. I really needed her to come in because she was bringing in her son who I needed to meet my 1A requirements for the semester. So I quickly called a patient that I saw last semester and she wanted to bring her daughter in again. I still think mixed dentition is quite confusing and I do need to study the tooth letters a little bit more. I was able to get some x-rays, despite her excessive gagging. I did use the ultrasonic just briefly because she has a lingual expansion bar which was very difficult to clean. I did not miss any spots and I was able to do one sealant and pass off my sealant and Diagnodent PE's. Then in the afternoon, it was Lab time. We learned how to transfer wheelchair bound patients in and out of our dental chair. We also pushed each other on wheelchairs around campus and had a race, which we quickly found out was not the best idea because I was almost launched out of my chair onto the cement. It was the funnest lab activity we have done so far! We also learned about desensitization, the Velscope, oral irrigation, and the placement of Arestin. I am excited to get to use all of these things in clinic. Lots of people have had opportunities to place Arestin at the VA, but I haven't yet. My goal for next clinic session is to complete my requirements because next clinic session is the last one this semester! HAPPY THANKSGIVING BREAK!

No comments:

Post a Comment